By Brittany Murphy
On behalf of your incoming Board of Directors, we wanted to provide an update on the results of our Annual General Meeting on May 15 and outline an idea of what to expect in the coming months.
A major topic discussed at the AGM was the progress of our profession in the Province of Ontario and the importance of working together to reach our shared goals. A fantastic piece on this was written by our introductory remarks speaker, Alain Normand, and can be found here https://oaem.ca/bloggers/alain-normand/aiming-for-the-delorean-building-the-em-profession-of-the-future/. We then heard from the President of the new International Association of Emergency Managers – Ontario Region. We are excited for our collaborative efforts with IAEM, and other partners in Ontario, in the future to continue to strengthen and enhance the field in the province and continue being leaders in Emergency Management.
The elections for the Board of Directors concluded the AGM, and we would like to share the results with you. We saw the re-election of Jason Reid and Katie Subbotina, the election of Brittany Murphy and Christina Baker, who have been serving on the board on an interim basis, as well as the election of Patricia Martel, Jason Swaye, and Lori Latendresse, some incredibly passionate members who have served as mentors or who have been active participants at OAEM events. We extend our thanks to those who concluded serving the board with this AGM and we appreciate the work you have done for the association and the profession in the field of Ontario.
We are pleased to announce that, for the first time in OAEM history, we have an all-female executive team.
- Katie Subbotina, President
- Nicole Pinto, Vice President
- Lori Latendresse, Treasurer
- Christina Baker, Secretary
In addition to the executive, the Board of Directors is majority female, with a diverse set of experiences and backgrounds represented on the board. We have the following individuals taking on the leadership roles for the association:
- Patricia Martel, Community Director
- Brittany Murphy, Communications Director
- Jason Reid, Professional Development Director
- Mike O’Brien, DEMCON Director
- Paul Hassanally, Projects Director
- Jason Swaye, Membership Director
The board of directors has professionals with education ranging from certificates to doctorates, representatives from the public and the private sector with NGO exposure, with an assortment of cultural and experiential backgrounds. OAEM is proud to be the home for Ontario Emergency Management Community and we are proud our board of directors is representative of that diversity. With this change in executive, we’d like to take the time to extendthanks to Mike O’Brien for his years of service as the President of the association and all that he has accomplished in the role.
Finally, we would like to reassure you that the work at OAEM continues as usual and we have the following events to look forward to:
- An updated Board of Directors page with information about the directors
- Further building of community, with continued efforts to engage partners outside of the GTA in the north and east of Ontario
- CSA Z1600 – Emergency Management and Business Continuity Standard Course in Ottawa on June 13 and 14
- G290 Basic Public Information Officer FEMA Certified Program in Toronto on June 18 and 19
- DEMCON at the International Centre in Mississauga on October 9 and 10
- Reinstatement of newsletter communications
As the field of emergency management is changing, we are proud that our board is changing with it and representative of emergency management professionals in the province of Ontario, and we look forward to serving you and working with you. If you have ideas for training, experience opportunities, please do not hesitate to contact us so we can discuss what is possible!