Ministry of the Solicitor General
Since 1980, communities have counted on the Province’s Emergency Management programs when they needed us most. In fact, we are on the job well before an emergency occurs. Reducing risks to the people of Ontario by ensuring proactive and coordinated approaches to managing emergencies through effective prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery strategies and programs are key pillars of the office’s mandate. When the unthinkable happens, we are there to support community response and coordinate provincial activities as required. The continuity of strong leadership will allow us to continue to keep Ontarians safe and we look forward to discovering how you will contribute to our mandate.
The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management’s Emergency Management Branch leads the promotion, development, implementation and maintenance of effective emergency management programs throughout Ontario, and – the coordination of these programs with the federal government. Fulfilling this provincial coordination role requires assisting provincial ministries and communities in the development and implementation of their mandatory emergency management programs, and by maintaining the overall provincial emergency management program. Reporting to the Chief, Emergency Management, the Branch’s portfolio is organized into seven major program areas: Director’s Office, Provincial Emergency Operations Centre, Provincial Field Operations, Program Development, Emergency and Nuclear Planning and Exercises, Training and Public Education, and, Ministry Programs.
In this role you will:
- Develop and communicate a compelling vision for the Emergency Management branch
- Modernize the operational framework for an integrated, team-based approach to delivering emergency management in Ontario
- Direct all aspects of the Emergency Management operations and financial resources, including development of strategic priorities and tactical plans, and the 24-hour operation of the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre
- Direct emergency management planning, including the Provincial Emergency Response Plan and Provincial Nuclear Emergency Response Plan
- Develop and role-model effective partnerships within government and with other jurisdictions and emergency management organizations, ensuring Ontario’s program aligns with emergency management directions and trends
- Continuously review and implement emergency management policies, procedures, standards and evaluation processes to ensure provincial ministries can effectively respond to and recover from disasters
- Encourage expanded engagement between and amongst the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management and diverse ministry and external stakeholders
What we are looking for:
- You have senior leadership experience with proven impact and influence at all levels of staff, management and executives.
- You have proven experience in leading and mobilizing people through change management initiatives.
- You have proven abilities in providing strategic direction, establishing priorities and developing and implementing programs and plans.
- You have experience successfully managing and directing physical, financial and human resources to ensure the most flexible, efficient and effective delivery of emergency management services.
- You are an innovative, inclusive leader who values and creates a culture of diversity, inclusion and equity.
- You lead by example and promote a positive workplace culture that engages staff towards a common vision.
Stakeholder Management and Communication Skills
- You have compelling communication skills to articulate a common vision, engaging all levels of staff, management and executives.
- You can establish effective relationships with ministry and stakeholder officials to engage them in the collaborative development and delivery of emergency management programs and plans.
- You have demonstrated success leading issues management and risk mitigation strategies.
- You are skilled at providing advice and briefings regarding emergency management issues to senior executives and political staff.
- You have experience planning and delivering emergency management plans and programs in large-scale organizations.
- You have experience applying your knowledge of emergency management safety legislation, regulations, standards and delivery systems to ensure emergency preparedness, prevention, mitigation, response and recovery
- You have experience with program evaluation and can use analytics to develop a framework to support the tracking and evaluation of program effectiveness.
- You have proven success creating a vision for change and engaging team members and stakeholders to achieve it.
- You have demonstrated experience identifying opportunities for change and championing ideas that lead to improved service delivery.
- You have demonstrated ability to deliver results in an ever changing environment.
Judgement and Political Acuity
- You have demonstrated a high degree of political acuity to anticipate and respond to politically sensitive situations.
- You have flexibility and resilience to adapt in a changing environment.
- You can identify long-term issues and trends and develop mitigation strategies.
Location: 25 Morton Shulman Avenue, Toronto, Ontario
Salary: $130,930 – $164,930 per year
Please apply online, only, by Friday, June 21, 2019, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=135982.Please follow the instructions to submit your application.Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Recruitment Unit at email@example.com. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
To apply for this job please visit www.gojobs.gov.on.ca.