Helping Canadians improve their financial, physical and mental well-being.
The Manager, Emergency Response will support the AVP, Global Business Continuity Management, and will be responsible for contributing to the design and oversight of implementation of the enterprise-wide (Lifeco) Business Continuity Management Framework. The role will support the establishment and ongoing operation of the second line of defence within the Business Continuity Management System (BCMS) which includes Emergency Response, Incident Management, Business Recovery and Disaster Recovery planning.
Business Continuity Planning overall is a company accountability and as such requires a high degree of communication and collaboration. This position is responsible for ensuring full value and effectiveness is obtained for all BCM investments.
The role will be accountable for ensuring that business units are adequately identifying, measuring, managing and reporting business disruption risks, and are in compliance with all global and jurisdictional standards and regulatory requirements. The Manager, will work actively with the Global BCM group to ensure practices are aligned to the Lifeco BCM Framework, and provides independent assessment of the BCM risk profile.
Specific deliverables for this role which focuses on Emergency Response Planning (ERP) include:
Requirements Gathering and Monitoring:
- compile, monitor and analyze applicable global government standards and guidance related to emergency response planning for application to ERP.
- in relation to site Emergency Procedures, Communication Plans and Strategies, and administration of the Lifeco Mass Notification System
- working with and supporting the Global BCM Team, Regional BCM Teams, and coordinating as required with Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance)
Employee Training & Awareness:
- responsibilities include coordinating ERP material for new hire orientations and annual employee refresher training
Exercises and Testing:
- support as required site Emergency Drills and coordinate / execute and report on large scale Mass Notification Exercises
- Support site emergencies and activated incident management teams as a central resource for coordination during threats and disruptions
Strategy and Planning
- Foster and provide visible leadership in the promotion of sound BCM Risk Management practices across the organization by contributing to the development and execution of the BCM Risk framework, policy, structure, procedures and processes.
- Establish a process to apply objective assessment to key aspects of the BCM Framework including the business impact analysis (BIA) process, stated recovery time objectives (RTOs) and recovery point objectives (RPOs), as well as recovery and testing strategies.
- Provide objective and independent risk expert advice and counsel to the business, partnering with Internal Audit, Legal, Compliance and Risk.
- Recommend courses of action for the first line of defence to ensure ongoing improvement and evolution of business recovery strategies and capabilities.
- Ensure that the BCM risk profile is aligned with strategic business objectives and stated risk appetite.
- Drive continuous improvement across the organization related to BCM risk and ensure improvements are incorporated into the ongoing development of tools and processes. Ensure that change management impacts are assessed and related processes are in place.
- Determine the appropriate governance and escalation processes to support the lines-of-business on key risk issues.
- To create and manage BCM operational plans and strategies to achieve objectives. To develop BCM operational strategies and influence strategic direction. To participate in Global BCM planning as part of the planning/leadership team.
- To ensure that all BCM staff and business unit plan leaders are appropriately trained and have the tools available to meet their roles and responsibilities.
Exercises and Testing
- Ensure sufficient testing programs are established to provide assurance of resilience to key risks and threats
- Review and provide objective assessment to the design of regional testing frameworks
- To assist in protecting against the impact of business disruptions. To ensure successful delivery of critical services and processes during business disruptions.
Analysis and Reporting
- Establish and report on BCM key risk indicators and facilitate the sharing of best practices across the regions
- Support Lifeco level BCM scenarios, and work with regional teams to engage relevant businesses
- Implement BCM methodology for regional engagement in change risk assessments
- Contribute to quarterly Lifeco BCM reporting for the ORC, ERMC, Board and regulators
- Contribute to regular BCM reporting for operational senior management
- Create and maintain a current BCM risk profile that supports the basis for making business decisions from a risk appetite perspective.
- To monitor the state of the BCM program and report on performance to senior leadership.
- Assist in the anticipation and preparation for emerging risks and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Support response efforts at time of incident
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Significant experience in a business continuity or disaster recovery function within large scale organization
- Increasingly senior leadership roles within a BCM, Risk or related function
- Experience working in a regulated environment.
- Business Degree (or other relevant post graduate qualification an advantage)
- Business Continuity or related professional accreditation / certification is an asset
- Experience with ISO 22301
Discover your opportunity…. Apply today!
Great-West Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Great-West Lifeco would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit gwlcareers-greatwestlife.icims.com.