Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
Do you have expertise in emergency management and experience with adult education? If so, consider this
unique opportunity with the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM).
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Develop and implement Hazardous Materials (Haz Mat), Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and
Explosion Response (CBRNE), and Heavy Urban Search and Rescue (HUSAR) training and response programs
• Provide group leadership, advice, and direction to members of OFMEM and stakeholders
• Develop effective interagency relationships and act as an OFMEM expert and spokesperson during responses
How do I qualify?
• You possess or have the ability to obtain a class D Driver’s License with Z endorsement to operate specialized
vehicles and equipment
Technical Knowledge and Experience
• Expert knowledge of current theories, techniques, and practices related to risk assessment and management
as well as emergency services management
• Experience with the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of emergency
planning/management models and programs
• Program development skills to conduct needs analyses and research, lead focus groups, perform evaluations,
and develop implementation and delivery strategies
• Knowledge of fire protection and prevention services and other response agency organization and
• Knowledge of applicable legislation, codes, statutes, regulations and by-laws
• Knowledge of developments, trends, technology, and programs in the field of Chemical, Biological,
Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive events (CBRNE), Hazardous Materials, and Heavy Urban Search and Rescue
(HUSAR) as well as ability to operate relevant apparatus and personal protective equipment
Adult Education Knowledge and Skills
• You have knowledge of adult education techniques, curriculum development and delivery, and teaching and
learning strategies for diverse groups
• You have experience with facilitation, presentation, and instruction methods and demonstrated instructional
Ontario Public Service Careers – Job Preview 2018-03-05, 4:47 PM
https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=110455 Page 2 of 3
Oral and Written Communication Skills
• You are able to write program proposals, news releases, media advisories, briefing materials, and
• You can prepare learning outcomes, curriculum, testing materials, and articles
• You have presentation skills to present at conferences and conduct training sessions
• You have negotiation skills to influence diverse client and interest groups with potentially opposing viewpoints
Research, Analytical, Evaluation Skills
• You can conduct program evaluations as well as compile and analyze data to identify trends and issues
• You can identify training needs and develop educational programs
• You can research changing fire service technology, fire service practices, and technology to adapt training
• You can provide technical direction, facilitate training, meetings, and focus groups and influence fire services
• You have organizational and planning skills to coordinate projects
Address: 1 Permanent, 2284 Nursery Rd, HWY 26, Midhurst, Central Region, General
Compensation Group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Category: Consulting and Planning
Posted on: Monday, March 5, 2018
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a satisfactory criminal reference check prior to the
commencement of employment.
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top
candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional
Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it,
along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery
Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and
obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section
above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is
required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean
you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the
TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s screening
check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being
filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
1. You must apply online.
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to
write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools
3. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete
examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the
information you provide to us.
4. Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
5. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
6. If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process,
please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you
within 48 hours.
Ontario Public Service Careers – Job Preview 2018-03-05, 4:47 PM
https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=110455 Page 3 of 3
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of
qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service
Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared
with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your
name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a
competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or
resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions
held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the
Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions
currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the
Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position
with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances
around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both
English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated
and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français
sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas
traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version
anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Note: The only website where you can apply on-line for positions with the Ontario Public Service is
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca →